Melissa DePaul

I'm a Broadcast Communications and Business Administration Major at Westminster Collge. I am the producer/director for Coach's Corner, which is a sports show for football and basketball season. I'm also the director of the County Line, which is a live 30-minute newscast every Thursday night at 7:30 on Adelphia Cable 9.

Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Steelers Parade and Rally


Today I was down Pittsburgh for the Steelers Parade and Rally at the Point. Of course there were tons of reports and news stations gathering thier footage and soundbite. I don't know if you watched the WTAE broadcast of the event. But a report tried to get an interview and approach Randel El and called him by another name twice. The reporter had no clue that was Randel El they were talking to. After the reported called him the wrong name Randel El told the reporter he would not do an interview. I thought it was rather funny because everyone knows who Randel El is because he is a big name player. That not only made the WTAE look really bad but also the reporter. If you are going to cover events such as these the reporter should have done research if he/she was not familiar with the players. WTAE prides itself on being the official coverage for the Steelers and they have reporters who do not know who the big name players are.

2 Comments:

  • At 1:58 PM, Blogger Amy DalBon said…

    I had to switch to another channel because I couldn't believe that guy didn't know Randel El. Seriously this is why they need people like us to work for them...at least we would get the names right. :) Hope everything is going well for you!!

     
  • At 7:30 PM, Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said…

    I saw the big "Willy" faux paux and I have it on tape. I used it in class to discuss "making mistakes" and how it hurts credibility. Whilte this mistake was just stupid, other mistakes can get you sued.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home