Melissa DePaul

I'm a Broadcast Communications and Business Administration Major at Westminster Collge. I am the producer/director for Coach's Corner, which is a sports show for football and basketball season. I'm also the director of the County Line, which is a live 30-minute newscast every Thursday night at 7:30 on Adelphia Cable 9.

Saturday, December 10, 2005

Capstone Experience

As the semester comes to an end and I graduate in a week, I am going to reflect on my capstone experience. I did both sections of my capstone this semester. It went really well. The whole point of our capstone project is to accomplish something that you do not have or want to do before you graduate. But as we did that we also had to network with professionals in our field through papers and tape assessments. That was very beneficial because now we established a connection with someone who might be able to help once we graduate. The thing I felt was the most helpful was getting my resume tape assessed by someone in the field. I got my tape assessed by Mindy Neill from WKBN and she gave me very useful feedback and I was able to go back and fix the problems so it would improve my resume tape and chances to land a job.

Now I'm leaving here with all the tools to get a job in communications. Capstone really helped me to figure out what I wanted to accomplish before I graduate. Mine was to improve my resume tape and do a video essay which I did on trout stocking. As I've submitted my resume tape into news stations I feel confident that I am qualified for the positions and have a solid resume tape to show for it.

3 Comments:

  • At 3:59 AM, Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said…

    Suggestion: Visit/do lunch with some of your references and contacts. They can tip you off about job prosepcts and help with networking into places that might have seemed out of your reach.

    We're going to miss ya!

     
  • At 11:48 AM, Blogger Brad Weaver, BC Instructor said…

    KEEP ON BLOGGING!
    WE WANT TO KNOW WHAT'S GOING ON WITH YOU!!!

     
  • At 7:30 AM, Blogger Laura K. said…

    congrats on graduating!!!

    (sorry i've been a little out of the loop here haha)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home